Friday 12 October 2012

Research

So i began doing my research into mental illness in other countries in order to back up my knowledge of mental illness being almost a taboo in China. I looked through a bunch of sites to find some information on China's views on mental illness as well as some other countries just incase something else came up.

I found that i was indeed correct about about the public perceptions of mental health in china and the taboo associated with the conditions. There has recently however been a move towards fixing this, with some people calling for the Chinese governments to help get more treatments and help change the public's perceptions of mental health.
I didn't find any other majorly differing views on mental health compared to our views on it. I did find some people with some bizarre and interesting views but they weren't enough to base a games narrative off of. 

Here is the intro narrative i have written for my game.


Alys is the daughter of Gabriel Reid and Mei Wen. Mei was raised in china by a very traditional Chinese family, when she grew up she learned English and moved to the west to follow her career. There she met Gabriel fell in love and had a child. Her parents being Chinese traditionalist’s frowned upon her starting a life with a western man.
When Alys was 7 her father Gabriel developed early onset dementia. Mei’s parents viewed this as threatening to their family and pressured her into leaving Gabriel. Alys distraught with losing her father to the disease grew up to become a Psychiatrist. She eventually took on her father as a patient.

I also did a little mock up of the character Alys for my cover. It will obviously be better when it's finalised. 


No comments:

Post a Comment